Skip navigation
27371 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2014 12:41 PM by Sadatn2k RSS 1 2 Previous Next
MissEatMyBullets User 55 posts since
Jan 15, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2013 6:57 PM

Do women have to get military haircuts in the army?

So um, i was watching army basic training videos on youtube and i saw all the guys get military haircuts, but then they showed this middle-aged african american woman, and um yea they were SHAVING HER HEAD! and i was like WTH!? but then i read that women can't get their head shaved because it would look fadish or whatever it said on yahoo answers, but she still got her head shaved, and she looked like she was about to cry!... NO JOKE, sraight up holding tears! but she kinda had nappy hair, it kinda looked like a lil tiny afro, and they shaved  it right down to the scalp! i'm seriously NOT joking, so i'm thinking they shaved it cuz afros aren't allowed in the military but idk, and if women want to get military haircuts, would the army allow it? and I'm black, 16, and got locs (dread locs) are they allowed in the army? cuz that's where i wanna go. would a barber, totally sit me down, and completely cut & shave my head! at first i wanted my head shaved after watching G.I Jane, but then i was like, wait, this is REALITY , and i'm so beautiful, i dont wanna look like a complete fool if it doesn't look right, you know what i mean? But i'm thinking some women HAD to have gotten their head shaved if they wanted it or if the army assited it right? but i dont want mine shaved, at least i don't think so, NEED TO KNOW THIS ARMY FAMILY, MUTIPLE ANSWERS! PLEASE & THANK YOU!

• ACM21 User 1,915 posts since
    Jul 8, 2011

Women do not get their head shaved. Read this:

(3) Female haircuts will conform to the following standards.

(a) Females will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that

the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved

portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and

cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any hairholding

devices comply with the standards in 1–8a(3)(d) below. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts

of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below

the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls

naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned,

so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the physical fitness uniform/improved physical fitness

uniform (PFU/IPFU).

(b) Styles that are lopsided or distinctly unbalanced are prohibited. Ponytails, pigtails, or braids that are not secured

to the head (allowing hair to hang freely), widely spaced individual hanging locks, and other extreme styles that

protrude from the head are prohibited. Extensions, weaves, wigs, and hairpieces are authorized; however, these

additions must have the same general appearance as the individual’s natural hair. Additionally, any wigs, extensions,

hairpieces, or weaves must comply with the grooming policies set forth in this paragraph.

(c) Females will ensure that hairstyles do not interfere with proper wear of military headgear and protective masks

or equipment at any time (see 1–8a(1)(a), above). When headgear is worn, the hair will not extend below the bottom

edge of the front of the headgear, nor will it extend below the bottom edge of the collar.

• JKD05 ArmySoldier 915 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009

No, women are not required to shave their heads, moreover, they are not allowed to shave parts of the scalp with the exception of the neckline. The exception to this is dredlocks. They will shave your head if you show up to basic with dredlocks, because the only way to get rid of dredlocks it to... cut them out.

Nov 28, 2009

You will. I knew two girls in basic who got their heads shaved because of dredlocks. Hair will grow back after you shave it, but you can't get dreds out any other way besides shaving it, so... Shaving the head is kind of frowned upon, but dredlocks are particularly not authorized under any circumstances.

Jul 8, 2011

Well don't show up to BCT with dreadlocks, and then there's no issue...

• User 3 posts since
    Jan 19, 2013

I have medium hairstyles and i am going to join a army.Please guide me how i will get my hair cut in the army??I personaly dont want to get my hair cut.Is it compulsory for everyone to get shape according to army hair cut??

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 8,209 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009

MissEatMyBullets...you have your answer. Dreadlocks are not permissible for many reasons:

• They are considered faddish
    • They do not permit the proper wearing of military headwear to include protective headwear required for many activities
    • They do not permit proper hygene....if you think getting dirty in gym class or on a camping trip....wait unti you have been in the field for over a week without shower in the middle of August.
    • They present an unkempt, unprofessional appearance
    • You could not style the hair in a manner that fits within the standards of AR 670-1

Basically, if you are deadset on the Army....you need to either find a way to get rid of the dreadlocks now, or face getting it shaved during reception. That is all there is to it. On a side note, I know several women who have shaved their heads and still looked very feminine. I saw a trainee the other day that actually had a shaved head and was still very identifiable as a female. It's going to depend more on you than your haircut.

Sara234.....if you can get your hair up and to where it meets the following:

"Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below

the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls

naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned,

so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the physical fitness uniform/improved physical fitness

uniform (PFU/IPFU)."

Then you will be just fine. Many females do not have to get their haircut because it can meet the standards without additional help from the "beauty salon."

For all females: If you do require a haircut, outside of something as extreme as removing dreadlocks, you will go to a "beauty salon" to get your hair cut or colored (if you have hair that is of an unnatural or extreme color). It's not a 5 star salon, but it will do a reasonable job. Don't expect a shaved head because you need your hair trimmed.

Nov 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    11. Jan 19, 2013 10:16 AM (in response to sara234)
    Do women have to get military haircuts in the army?

sara234 wrote:

I have medium hairstyles and i am going to join a army.

Define medium hairstyles?

sara234 wrote:

I personaly dont want to get my hair cut.Is it compulsory for everyone to get shape according to army hair cut??

No one is telling you that you have to cut your hair. I don't know what "get shape according to army hair cut" is supposed to mean. If you scroll up in this very same topic, there's information about the standards women's hair must conform to, and none of it includes shaving your head bald but rather having a bob that doesn't fall below the bottom edge of the collar OR OR OR OR OR OR OR putting your hair in a bun.

Jul 8, 2011

They do NOT allow dreadlocks, it's against regulations, so I promise you they won't let you keep it.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points