Skip navigation
10799 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 11:29 PM by kacie0311 RSS
User 7 posts since
Nov 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2012 9:43 PM

Reserves vs. active duty

I was wondering which is better the reserves or active duty? I also want to attend college, if I join the reserves can I go to college first and then pay my 6 years to the army? Also if I'm in the reserves will they pay for my college still? The college I plan on attending has an army ROTC and I am planning on joining that will that change anything?

Thanks to whoever responds!

• egloskerry ArmySoldier 12,798 posts since
    Jul 13, 2012
    1. Nov 14, 2012 9:54 PM (in response to kacie0311)
    Reserves vs. active duty

If you go AD, it will take roughly twice the time to complete your degree.

Going USAR, you will have more than enough time for your classes. However, if you enlist while in college, you cannot have them pay for your college prior to serving. You will serve concurrently with your college.

If you're looking at doing ROTC, look into the SMP. It allows you to enlist in USAR and do ROTC at the same time. Jcleppe should respond in a minute to let you know all about that.

• jcleppe User 1,113 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Nov 14, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to kacie0311)
    Reserves vs. active duty

Google "Army SMP" as a first step.

Go talk with the Recruiting Officer at the college you wish to attend. They will be able to explain both ROTC and the SMP Program.

Do this first before going to talk to a local Recruiter.

If you wish to go to college and you also want to enlist, the Reserves or National Guard is the best route to take, especially if you want to participate in ROTC.

The SMP program can give you tuition assistance, a lot will depend on which state you live and how the program works with the National Guard in that state. You will want to discuss this with them after talking with ROTC.

• Revdeck User 3,580 posts since
    Dec 2, 2011
    4. Nov 14, 2012 10:16 PM (in response to kacie0311)
    Reserves vs. active duty

SIMULTANEOUS MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM (SMP)

The Simultaneous Membership Program allows you to attend Army ROTC and serve in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard at the same time. It gives you an opportunity for additional training and experience. Cadets serve as Officer trainees in the Reserve or National Guard while completing college. You can earn Reserve/Guard pay and benefits in addition to your Army ROTC allowances.

Jul 13, 2012
    6. Nov 14, 2012 10:51 PM (in response to kacie0311)
    Reserves vs. active duty

USAR will pay some or all of your tuition.

Jul 13, 2012
    8. Nov 14, 2012 10:59 PM (in response to kacie0311)
    Reserves vs. active duty

I believe the USAR Tuition Assistance (TA) is only for FT, but I may be wrong.

That's called split op, and is only available if you haven't completed your junior year. You go to BCT during your penultimate summer, and AIT when you graduate.

Jul 13, 2012
    10. Nov 14, 2012 11:27 PM (in response to kacie0311)
    Reserves vs. active duty

I said some or all. I believe there are some classes they won't pay for, and they will not pay more than $250/hr. Most likely it will cover your entire tuition.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points