Skip navigation
2098 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 9:01 AM by MrsGray RSS
User 3 posts since
Nov 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2012 10:39 PM

Questions from a military brat

Will the withdrawal of troops from the middle east affect the military jobs people/I  would be able to join? In an article, by 2015 the bulk of the us army would be withdrawn and a few thousand troops would be left. What jobs could be in demand and what jobs need less enlistees?  I did a little research and, is the special forces really an enlistment option for the enlistee ? Officer vs NCO : what are the benefits of each? Explain further the gi bill? My dad explained that it was basically the opportunity to go to school and the army paying my education. In another discussion from another website, I read that enlisted can qualify for the usma or west point. Is this possible ? How can I qualify? It states that the usma only gives 85 slots every year for the enlisted. What does basic training consist of? I read that the army added more qualification tests, true? I am 16 and currently a junior, in your opinion, is joining the military at 17 with parents consent better than joining the military at 18 without the parents consent? I can lay a year off and prepare, bond with the family..etc. Or I can prepare now while studying. Thankyou

• egloskerry ArmySoldier 12,808 posts since
    Jul 13, 2012
    1. Nov 4, 2012 10:52 PM (in response to YoungMilitaryBrat)

1. Will it affect the Army? Of course. How? Crystal ball's out of order right now.

2. See #1.

3. Of course. You'd need an 18X contract. Minimum age is 20 though.

4. I'm sure you could find ten of each that think they have it better. Officers get more money and responsibility.

5. http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/montgomery_gibill/active_duty.html

7. https://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/becoming-a-soldier/basic-combat-training.html

8. Don't know what you mean by qualification tests. Please elaborate. You take the ASVAB going in and must pass the APFT during IET.

9. You know your family and life best. Only you can decide.

• ACM21 User 1,916 posts since
    Jul 8, 2011
    2. Nov 4, 2012 11:05 PM (in response to YoungMilitaryBrat)
    Re: Questions from a military brat

That`s a lot of questions, but I`ll try to address all the ones I know:

Will the withdrawal of troops from the middle east affect the military jobs/people/ I  would be able to join?

Yes,of course, people are leaving the military all the time, so they will always need more officers and Soldiers alike, but this just means if you require a waiver, then you probably won`t get it.

What jobs could be in demand and what jobs need less enlistees?

Not sure. But they`ll always need people for every job. Some will just be more competitive.

I a little research and, is the special forces really an enlistment option for the enlistee ?

I know almost nothing about SF, so I couldn`t answer that.

Officers vs. NCO : what are the benefits of each?

That`s something that kind of tough to answer. Officers get paid more, higher rank,all of that, but if you don`t want to have as much responsibility andlead people around, enlisted is the way to go. Regardless, all Soldiers have responsibilities, and as they promote, they have to have more of the leadership aspect. There is no better one though.

Explain further the GI bill?

Basically, Army pays for college. Read this: https://www.goarmy.com/benefits/education-benefits/money-for-college.html

I read that enlisted can qualify for the USMA or west point. Is this possible ?How can I qualify? It states that the USMA only gives 85 slots every year for the enlisted.

Yes,a select few can attend USMA (West Point) every year. If you want to go there,then I really don`t suggest enlisting. The best thing to do is apply.You can apply the spring of your junior year. If you have good grades, take hard classes, and participate in sports, extracurriculars, and have leadership, that`ll help you get in. Read their website: http://www.westpoint.edu/SitePages/Home.aspx

What does basic training consist of?

Read all about it here: https://www.goarmy.com/about/army-training.html

You go to BCT (Basic Combat Training) where you`ll learn the basics of being a Soldier, and then on to AIT (Advanced Individual Training) where you`ll do MOS specifc training.

Also,search this forum for "Basic Training" and you`ll find a lot of information.

I read that the army added more qualification tests, true?

What do you mean by "qualification tests"? Do you mean tests to enter the Army? If so, then there`s just the ASVAB, same as always.

I am 16 and currently a junior, in your opinion, is joining the military at 17with parents consent better than joining the military at 18 without the parents consent?

This isn`t something where there`s a better answer. One thing for sure: get your diploma, stay out of trouble, don`t go getting any tattoos or doing anything that will disqualify you. Like I said, if your ultimate goal is to become an officer and go to West Point don`t enlist, because that`ll decrease your chances of going. Also look into the ROTC program: https://www.goarmy.com/rotc/high-school-students.html

Jul 8, 2011
    4. Nov 5, 2012 12:01 AM (in response to YoungMilitaryBrat)

I can assure you that the reason those kids didn`t get in wasn`t solely because their parents weren`t affiliated with the military. Are you sure that`s what he meant? If so, that`s not correct. By having a family member in the military, it can offer a little better of a chance, but that`s not a big reason, if any reason at all, why they didn`t get in. They might not have had good teacher recommendations, good interviews, no nomination, got a medical DQ, etc. There`s a variety of reasons that people don`t get in that`s not something we can just look at and know. If someone had a low GPA and had not gotten in, we would know why, but if they had a perfect high school profile and not gotten in, we would have a hard time guessing why. If one of the only reasons you think you should enlist first is because it would be like depending on him, that`s not the case. Really, the biggest thing having a family member who served does is make it so you can also apply for the presidential nomination, so you have a slightly higher chance of getting a nomination. I can understand how you don`t want to rely on him, but in order to get into West Point, it`s you who has to do well, he won`t be the one getting you in. I really don`t know why that man said that, about people with no military affiliation not getting in. In all honesty, it would be harder to go in to USMA as enlisted.

Jul 8, 2011
    5. Nov 5, 2012 12:15 AM (in response to YoungMilitaryBrat)

If you are interested in West Point or ROTC, jcleppe, a usual poster around here, always recommends folks to go to serviceacademyforums.com.

Jul 8, 2011
    7. Nov 5, 2012 7:53 AM (in response to YoungMilitaryBrat)

You`re welcome. 75% of people I know who went to West Point, or any service academy, didn`t have relatives in the military, or if they did, it was like their grandparents, cousins, someone not as direct as mom or dad. Good luck. Any questions, feel free to ask them here.

• MrsGray ArmySoldier 422 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    8. Nov 5, 2012 9:01 AM (in response to YoungMilitaryBrat)

Zeke,

you can go to http://www.usma.edu/SitePages/Home.aspx to find the qualifications needed to apply. it will also provide you with some great information.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points