Skip navigation
30787 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 8:14 PM by JKD05 RSS
User 2 posts since
Oct 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2012 5:00 PM

Army Regulation for Failed PT Test

Does anyone know the Army Regulation for what happens after a failed PT Test?

AR600-8-2 covers the regulations for FLAGS, transferring them and deleting them.

I am trying to find where it states if they are required to put a soldier who failed a PT test on remedial PT and/or retest him later (within 30 days or whatever stated time).

I have a soldier who failed a PT test by 5 sit ups.  It is his first failure and he has never failed his weigh in/tape.  Currently his command is threatening to chapter him out for this one failed PT Test which was a Batallion PT Test (if that makes any difference).

I would like to find the Army Regs on this process to see if they are required to give him another test or a chance to improve basically.

I understand that a PT test is a basic requirment and my soldier should be able to pass it.  I would just like to see what he is entitled to now to try and improve. He is 6 years in and wishes to retire in the military.  We will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

• JKD05 ArmySoldier 913 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    1. Oct 16, 2012 5:09 PM (in response to JonesKay)
  • JKD05 ArmySoldier 913 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    3. Oct 16, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to JonesKay)

JonesKay wrote:

the line 'commanders MAY allow soldiers to retake the test'... does that mean they can skip giving him a chance to retest, flag him and chapter him out?  Or is a retest and remedial PT required?

If it doesn't specify it completely in the regulation, I'm honestly not sure. I personally don't read it as that gray of an area because yes, it does say "commanders may allow Soldiers toretake the test as soon as the Soldier and the commander feel the Soldier is ready" yet it also says  "Soldiers without a medical profile will be retested no later than 90 days following the initial APFT failure." I read that to mean that the Soldier must take a retest within 90 days of the failure, but if the commander and Soldier agree it was some kind of crazy fluke or the Soldier was sick, he can also take it the next day, so long as he feels ready.

But I've never heard of any company commander who successfully booted a soldier after one failed PT test. It has to go up through the chain of command and most battalions/brigades have policies stipulating procedures for a failed PT test.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points