Skip navigation
3401 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2012 7:54 PM by cozy63 RSS
User 3 posts since
Sep 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2012 6:12 PM

Can you enlist with pectus excavatum?

My name is Justin and I'm attempting to join the Army. I have done everything and passed my physical however, they started asking questions because I have a sunk in chest. I had to go to BAMC for an Xray and I got diagnosed with a 'severe' rating for my haller index. I have never had any issues. I ran cross country, played baseball and played soccer in high school and college and 2 years ago ran a marathon for the American Cancer Society. Is it still poosible to be able to join or will I get denied just because I'm rated as severe when it comes my index rating? Any help is appreciated.

• Revdeck ArmySoldier 3,608 posts since
    Dec 2, 2011
    1. Sep 23, 2012 6:21 PM (in response to armyguy10)

The is what the Army Reg 40-501 has to say about it:

2–23. Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum

i. Current chest wall malformation (754), including, but not limited to pectus excavatum (754.81), or pectus

carinatum (754.82), if these conditions interfere with vigorous physical exertion, does not meet the standard.

No one here though can give you a staright forward answer, you just have to keep working with your recruiter and eventually you will know for sure.

Best of luck!

• egloskerry ArmySoldier 17,021 posts since
    Jul 13, 2012
    2. Sep 23, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to armyguy10)

You said you passed your physical? Did you require a waiver, or did they clear you? I'm assuming you didn't swear-in that day?

• cozy63 User 1,039 posts since
    Nov 18, 2011
    5. Sep 23, 2012 7:54 PM (in response to armyguy10)

If your recruiter said it was 50/50 then you can trust them as they have the most recent information on things and IF they are lying it could cost them their career, so I would say it was the truth.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...