Skip navigation
2953 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 6:40 PM by Kharper1818 RSS
User 17 posts since
Jul 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2012 7:35 PM

Microdermal piercing in chest & when to take out?

I have two questions, but I'll start with this one: 

I have a microdermal (for those of you that don't know, it's a piercing that was basically hole-punched into my chest and even if I ***** the top jewel off, the anchor is still attached inside my skin, so I need to have it cut out before I join) and it is located in my chest, right in the center.  Obviously, I have to have this taken out before I join and I'm procrastinating because it will hurt a bit, but my question is when do I actually have to take it out, last and for all?  Before my first visit with MEPS?  Just before I get processed at MEPS (second visit) before being taken away to basic training?  

I'm just afraid that, god forbid, I get turned away from joining when I go for my initial visit at MEPS but already cut my piercing out of my chest.  I'd like to keep it if I don't actually get to join, but I am sure I'll get in.  So, before first visit or before going to basic? 

Also, I have an apartment leased out in Tampa, FL that begins its term on August 14th (because I originally was going to school there but I live in Minnesota) and ends July of next year.  I am joining as an active duty soldier and I know that there is a law that says you can get out of a lease if you are moved to base somewhere for the military but I don't actually go to basic until around December or January sometime of 2013.  Do I have to go to Tampa for this next semester before I can break that lease for the military?  Or, once I'm sworn in and everything, can I send my notice of joining and cancel?  I looked at the copy of my lease and there isn't even a military clause...I'm worried about this whole thing.  I don't want to get stuck in TWO contracts I can't get out of. 

If you can answer one or the other but not both, I don't care, I just want answers, please!  Thanks!

• RCandelario ArmySoldier 4,614 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    1. Jul 6, 2012 8:03 PM (in response to Kharper1818)

That subdermal piercing should come out sooner than later to allow yourself PLENTY of time to heal. Also be ready to answer questions at MEPS about that scar in the middle of your chest. If you didn't report it to your Recruiter and have it included in your application with some kind of medical documentation, be ready to be deemed Permanently Disqualified, No Waiver Authorized for self-masochism.

You can send a copy of your enlistment packet (DA1966 or DD4/1) to your landlords and have the lease terminated IAW Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003.

What else you got?

• RCandelario ArmySoldier 4,614 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    3. Jul 7, 2012 12:21 AM (in response to Kharper1818)

No, no, not what other piercings you have. What other questions, concerns, issues, confusions, and disconnects do you have to address to me/us?

• User 30 posts since
    Jul 8, 2012
    4. Jul 9, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to Kharper1818)

I had a microdermal piercing in my wrist, just to let you know, they do not cut them out. At least my piercer doesn't. They wiggle it out and it doesn't hurt at all. All you feel is a little pressure or like being pinched and then it is out. I got mine taken out a little over a week ago and it is practically healed so it won't be bad for healing. Good Luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...