Skip navigation
6261 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 5:32 AM by joecrunk808 RSS
User 1 posts since
Mar 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 29, 2012 9:27 PM

Dependent waiver?

I am a 30 year old male who is married with 4 children. My wife works full-time and we have child care provided for through her work.  I have been seriously considering elisting into the Army for quite some time now. I am physically fit with no medical issues. I can pass all of the basic fitness standard requirments for my age group and then some. I also have over 70 college credit hours and should have no problem socring well on the ASVAB.

I heard that I would need a dependent waiver to enlist so I called a recruitor today and was told that dependent waivers are not being issued and that I should check back in a year or so. I have also been considering the Guard and I was told by the Guard recruitor that getting a dependent waiver would not be an issue. My desire is to go active duty before I am too old to do so.

Can anyone confirm that dependent waivers are no longer being issued for active duty Army?

Would enlisting in the guard and then after sometime transfering to active duty be a way around this and is this even possible? Does anyone have experience going from National Guard to active duty?

Thank you.

• ArmySoldier 791 posts since
    Dec 29, 2011
    1. Mar 29, 2012 9:59 PM (in response to energyshawn)
    Dependent waiver?

energyshawn,

Right now the Army is giving few waivers out, inlcuding those for dependents. The recruiter is telling you the truth. With the budget and recruiting numbers being cut, the need for waivers has dropped substantially. You could join the NG or Reserves, but transferring in the future will be hard.

• User 22 posts since
    Sep 2, 2008
    2. Dec 25, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to Bravo074)
    Dependent waiver?

Hello I know this post is almost a year old but I figure I give it a try.  I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm 30 years old married with 2 kids.  I did all the asvab and meps and had to get my dependent waiver for the navy. The navy didnt grant the waiver and told me to try the army.  Is the army still not granting dependent waivers?  Is it only for active side? Would the NG be more acceptable? Thanks

• egloskerry ArmySoldier 12,811 posts since
    Jul 13, 2012
    3. Dec 25, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to joecrunk808)
    Dependent waiver?

You will not need a dependency waiver for the Army. The Army only requires it if you have more than three dependents.

• User 22 posts since
    Sep 2, 2008
    4. Dec 27, 2012 5:32 AM (in response to egloskerry)
    Dependent waiver?

That's good to know. Thanks for a quick reply

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points