Skip navigation
14912 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 1:04 AM by Myles24 RSS
User 2 posts since
Jan 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 20, 2011 7:19 AM

11B or 19D

I am currently looking to pursue a career in the U.S. Military and I am set on becoming Special Forces and or a Ranger.. I know what I have to do become selcted to become a Ranger or SF. My main question is should i enter as a 11B or any combonation of 11B-X or 19D? I have been doing some resreach and asked a few buddies that are currently in the Army but I have been getting conflicting answers.. Any help will be helpful, thanks in advance.

• User 160 posts since
    May 13, 2011
    1. Oct 20, 2011 9:33 AM (in response to zachdaniel89)
    11B or 19D

zachdaniel89 - This is a question that only you can answer. My suggestion would be research the skill sets of both infantry and cav, see which one you want to do more and choose that one. Cav and infantry are similar but not the same - infantry does some things, such as air assault, that cav doesn't usually do, and vice versa.

It's also important to choose an MOS that you will enjoy doing while you're in it. Props to your SF/Ranger goals, but remember that if you choose 19D (or 11X, either one) just to get selected for Rangers, you might be frustrated while you wait. Something to keep in mind.

Again, we aren't able to answer this question for you. Do some research and choose what you want to do.

• ArmySoldier 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2011
    2. Oct 20, 2011 11:31 AM (in response to zachdaniel89)
    11B or 19D

I'm a SGT in the National Guard and I'm also a Ranger. You don't have to be just 11B or 11X or 19D, to become a Ranger or SF. Rangers right now have a high demand for 13F which is a Forward Observer, and you can also go in as a 68W which is a Medic. Make sure you pick what YOU want to do. It's your life! I'm an 11B, but I wish now that I would have done something else. Good luck to you! SGT Z

• User 2 posts since
    Oct 20, 2011
    3. Oct 20, 2011 1:20 PM (in response to zachdaniel89)
    11B or 19D

I have signed in as 68W, as a medic. Rangers are in great need of medics right now, but you need to make sure you pick an MOS that you will enjoy and is also needed for SF

• User 1,446 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    4. Oct 20, 2011 3:36 PM (in response to zachdaniel89)
    11B or 19D

Ranger Regiment does NOT have 19d's...You can still go to Ranger school, but would go back to your unit after.

• 18XParent User 268 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    5. Oct 20, 2011 3:49 PM (in response to jajacobs)
    11B or 19D

jajacobs wrote:

I have signed in as 68W, as a medic. Rangers are in great need of medics right now, but you need to make sure you pick an MOS that you will enjoy and is also needed for SF

I agree about picking an MOS that you will enjoy, but if you are looking to get into the Ranger Regiment you will need to make sure that it is an MOS that is eligible for assignment to the 75th.  For SF, it won't matter what your MOS is.  It is not a factor in whether or not you get selected and, if you are selected, you will be getting a new MOS anyway.

• User 3 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    7. Oct 29, 2011 1:04 AM (in response to zachdaniel89)
    11B or 19D

Im a Cav Scout and yes we do jobs similiar to infantry, however we're trained and prepared for so much more. Dont get me wrong Sand Hill is no cake walk but Harmony Church is whats really pushing right now. If your plan is to join a Ranger Bat. then go 11b or any other series accepted with them. 19D's can go toRanger schoolbut wont be assigned to a Bat.because technically we're armor which isnt part of them.But as of right now theyre using Scouts a lot as RI's from what ive been told. Which makes sense based off of the basic knowledge of a scout. You can still try SF but be warned its not a choice to make lighlty and the training is beyond what you can rly imagine. Not meaning to take anything away from you and your dreams just being honest. But on another note Scouts can go to SAPPER school which is pretty high speed. Its all YOUR choice. Im just glad youre making a good first choice by considering the Army.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...