Skip navigation
5881 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2011 4:18 PM by Damagr RSS
User 1 posts since
Sep 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2011 2:30 PM

Women in Combat?

Why are so many of you women (I'm a woman who is currently waiting to ship for basic) so hung up on wanting to be in a combat MOS???  Why are you so determined that that is what you need to do to serve you country?  Clearly you either like near death experiences, being miserable, and/or really want the chance to shoot people...

You can serve you country in any MOS very proudly.  I love my country and want to serve and I'm willing to die doing it...but I'm not searching for a way to die sooner.  You can serve you country as a cook, a musician, a computer nerd, a mechanic...or in my case a spy of sorts...  :-D  If you want to be down in the dirt of it choose a job that women can do that puts you out in the villages.  I'm going in as a 35M Human Intelligence Collector and I will be in the villages gathering sensitive information from sources and hopefully someday interrogating capture terrorists.  If that doesn't sound like an awesome, meaningfuly, fulfilling MOS in the Army that a woman can do...I don't know what does...

Serve your country and stop worrying about whether you can go get yourself killed or kill someone else.  I respect the fact that women want to be equal to men...but men and women are different and everyone must do their part....whatever that is.

• RCandelario ArmySoldier 4,614 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    1. Sep 18, 2011 2:45 PM (in response to kelsey.m.evans)
    Women in Combat?

HEAR, HEAR! Great post, SPC. Thanks for giving your perspective in this controversial and seemingly unending argument.

• ArmySoldier 3 posts since
    May 2, 2011
    2. Sep 18, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to kelsey.m.evans)
    Women in Combat?

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Kelsey!

I find your positive viewpoint a refreshing reprieve amidst all the acidic vitriol that usually spawns from threads about this topic.

• User 7 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    3. Sep 18, 2011 7:35 PM (in response to kelsey.m.evans)
    Re: Women in Combat?

Im going infantry and as much as i would respect a womans infantry, heres the simple facts.

Women got the Brains

Men got the Muscles.

There is no shame in admitting in this and its not sexist too say so. Equality in the infantry is impossible because of male physical capability.

Your job sounds crazy AWESOME, and i agree with you entirely! Wish you luck!, Good hunting!

• User 21 posts since
    May 4, 2011
    4. Sep 20, 2011 2:01 AM (in response to kelsey.m.evans)
    Women in Combat?

Its not that women want to be equal to men, its that men and women ARE equal. Frankly, if the army apft were changed to equal standards and a women could pass the same test a man could then I do not see why a women should not have to opportunity to be treated and viewed as an equal. Its not just about the opportunity to shoot people, its the ability to fight for my country with respect and dignity, knowing I gave the same effort as any other male soldier, but as a female. Sure, men and women are different, and thats why I believe that before a law to allow women to fight in combat is in place, some form of tests should be administered to ensure that a female soldier would be able to save a male soldier of average weight im such a way as the firemans carry. I'm sure some women would be incapable of passing such a test, but I'm also sure that some male soldiers would not be able to accomplish this feat either. Men and women can have both brains and muscles. It is absolutely ignorant to disassociate both characteristics.   P.S. Excuse my rant but I work too hard to be given less MOS opportunities than male soldiers. I want to expand my career in the army and have a limitless future, it honestly bothers me when I hear male soldiers excited for rangers, special forces, and delta force. I would love to be tested at that level and prove myself to others.

• User 3 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    5. Nov 7, 2011 4:09 PM (in response to kelsey.m.evans)
    Women in Combat?

Because many tests have been done with women and in fact they can do the many of the same combat jobs men can. Statistics show that actually combat units that are co-ed not just single sex-ed units actually perform better then single sex-ed units. The Govt. actually gave over 4 million dollars to study this and they are capable of being in the same condititions if not they have an advantage due to estrogen. They may not pack on bulk of muscle or pack on a lot of muscle but they can get the job done regardless. If only people would actually do research women want to fight and well they've been fighting in combat for thousands of years so I don't see a problem with allowing them into direct combat situations as long as tests are equal. The US is so far behind the rest of the world it's a miracle we've survived this far. Oh yes and it wouldn't be so bad if women were not being blamed for the divorce rate or that they are incompetent and that we are a sexual distraction that women running are a distraction that is one of the many reasons why they don't want women in combat their are so many ridiculous reasons like a womens period or her going to the bathroom. Or how bout these statistics of media 64 countries have had female presidents but were not one of them this issue goes more then just women in combat roles. If we didn't have so old stupid conservatives in office this country would be doing a lot better instead of their stupid religious views.

• User 1,446 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    6. Nov 7, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to Damagr)
    Women in Combat?

So your saying a co-ed unit is better then a single sex (male) Ranger Regiment unit? Lets be real. Stop bringing these topics up, it is all opinion based.

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 8,120 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    7. Nov 7, 2011 6:17 PM (in response to Damagr)
    Women in Combat?

Ok Damagr...show me some legitimate stats on these claims your making to official sites(universities, government think tanks, etc) where:

-It shows a $4 million dollar grant to study this(that would be a very low grant for such a study).

-Show where coed units perform better

-Where women are being blamed for the divorce rate and are a sexual distraction

BTW...isn't the current administration liberal. What about when the House, Senate and Presidency were all democratically controlled? Why not changed then if Conservatives are the problem?

I normally do not chime in on this subject, because I support openning more positions up to females. However Damagr, you are making claims without support...and that can be much more damaging than anything else. I do not support women in Infantry units. I know many females that I have no problem serving with. Most can out perform many males on many aspects. However, out of the best females I know....only two could potentially keep up on the ruck marches under a seriously heavy weight. That is vital. I know many females who are great Soldiers and would be great in most units, but most females I have known in the military would have serious issues with the rucking aspect involved in the Infantry.

• User 3 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    8. Nov 8, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to kelsey.m.evans)
    Women in Combat?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/286883-muscular-endurance-men-vs-women/

http://www.delmar.edu/socsci/rlong/creation/kellis.html

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/01/70006

I would comment more but I got to much work to do. I always find conervatives a problem their the majority in Congress and they reject plans that would help Americans and instead debate on the national motto "In God we trust" seriously. People reply quickly on this thing, but more so if people read the comments people say bout this issue they should get mad it rather ****** me off everytime I read them. I had one say "We might as well let retards in to." Or "Women are only made for sex, cleaning and making babies." but end of class...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...