Skip navigation
3133 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 6:53 PM by rick.voeltner RSS
User 1 posts since
Sep 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2011 1:11 PM

I am a single mom who wants to join the Army

I am a single mom to a 4 year old. I have heard rumors that single moms have to sign their rights over in order to join or that you have to temporarily give custody away... Can I get more information on my opitions as a single mom?

• mLndg4m3 ArmySoldier 2,929 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011
    1. Sep 17, 2011 1:40 PM (in response to Sanford04)

Please read some of the other post regarding single parents as they contain all of the info you need. Have you started working with a recruiter? 

• User 10 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    2. Sep 17, 2011 5:24 PM (in response to Sanford04)

Yes you have to sign over custody of your child to a family member because as of today....they do not allow babies or children in combat or to basic training or to attend AIT.......I think its normal !!!

• RCandelario ArmySoldier 4,641 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    3. Sep 21, 2011 7:10 PM (in response to Sanford04)
    Re: I am a single mom who wants to join the Army

wka656 and haley123: yall can NOT make those statements. Making those statements is illegal. How illegal? like "spend some time in jail" illegal. What you can tell them is that AR 601-210 says that if a single parent volunteers to sign custody of their kids over THEN decides to join the military OR if the single parent was married, then they'd be eligible to join. Caveat to the permanent custody thing: they can not EVER pursue custody. The only way they can end up with custody back is for the legal custodians tell the court that they no longer wish to be legal guardians. Expect that to require justification. Yall might not be Recruiters or otherwise assigned to USAREC at all, and neither am I (anymore...thank effin' god!!!), but the punishments are all the same and can be imposed to ANYONE making those statements. You have been warned.

Message was edited by: Rick Candelario for spelling correction.

• User 10 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    4. Sep 18, 2011 7:54 AM (in response to Sanford04)

No..Im right...making statements like this is not illegal.....Dont worry Sanford04, you have to have someone with legal custody or legal guardian, If you are a single parent and no one can or is going to jail...Just talk to your recruiter but...you dont always get accurate information from your recruiter so its best to be talking also to someone you know that is actually in the military.

• RCandelario ArmySoldier 4,641 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    5. Sep 18, 2011 9:32 AM (in response to wka656)

You mean like someone that has a beret over their username on this website?

USAAC/USAREC personnel: Please help me out here with a little legitimacy. I guess being an NCO here isn't enough, much less a former Recruiter.

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 8,209 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    6. Sep 18, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to RCandelario)

SGTCandelario is 100% correct on this one. If you don't believe me, review the regulations that he posted. He even posted the governing regulation and yet you blithely dismiss his comment as conjecture. That is a very poor habit to be in. If someone can back up what they are stating, and they have the experince and the correct documentation....it is generally a good idea to verify what they state and learn something.

• ArmySoldier 3,269 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    7. Sep 21, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to Sanford04)

Sanford04

You must be able to meet the eligibility requirements for enlistment:  Currently an applicant must be between the ages of 17 and 35, a US Citizen or resident alien with an I-551 card (green card), a HS senior or HS graduate, pass the enlistment written test and enlistment physical examination. If you are single, you must not have custody of minor children. You cannot be undergoing or have any pending civil actions, as some law violations may be disqualifying. These are the basic qualifications, but if you have questions as to your situation, talk with your Local Army Recruiter.  We wish you the very best of luck in your endeavors.

Thank you for considering our Army...............

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points