Skip navigation
5642 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2011 5:54 PM by lturrubiarte RSS
User 18 posts since
Aug 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 4, 2011 10:14 PM

Length of BCT and AIT for 68W

Can anyone give me an idea of what my total bct and ait time will be? I'm a middle school teacher and I'm trying to find the best time to go (if possible). I want to give my administrators enough time to make preparations for my absence and still be able to prepare my students for their state tests in the spring. I know I won't get the full benefits until after I go through training.

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 8,124 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    1. Aug 4, 2011 10:54 PM (in response to lturrubiarte)

Figure 11 weeks for BCT...1 week for reception and 10 weeks for BCT.

68W AIT is 16 weeks long, but you have have some hold-under time....which could increase the length by a week or so.

You may be able to utilize split-option program even though it is primarily for students. A recruiter could probably answer that one better.

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 8,124 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    3. Aug 5, 2011 9:26 AM (in response to lturrubiarte)

It would be up to your unit to send you. If you find a Hospital unit, it would increase your chances. I know that the local Hospital unit has most of the ASI's that a 68W can have and send people to these schools regularly.

• Nao User 145 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    5. Aug 15, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to lturrubiarte)

My recruiter had locked me into the 21Y Geospatial Engineer MOS so that he could lock me into one to go to MEPS back in June.  It seemed like an interesting MOS that can serve you well on the civilian side, but as I researched it more, it just didn't seem right for me.  My husband is in the Army and advised me to NOT sign anything and I mean anything, unless it was something I absolutely wanted.  If I wasn't able to get any of the MOS's I had on my list of choices that specific day at MEPS, I was going to walk out and go back another day.  If you really feel that you want a 68 series, stick to your guns.  I took my oath in June as I told you on another one of your posts, and am also a teacher....we just started back today with inservices, and I let my prinicpal know last Monday as well as my Fine Arts Director.  I leave to BCT in January, so that gives them PLENTY of time to find a replacement, but at the same time, even though I'm in the delayed entry program, I am still covered by the USERRA law, as you would be too.  If joining the Army is your dream as it was mine, then go for it.  I love my students and what I do, but with all the Texas budget cuts and teaching jobs getting cut (mine is one at the end of this school year), I find that a music degree is not going to get me much farther in life anymore and need something to further my abilities, challenge myself, and gain new skills, which the Army can help me with that.  I had to put myself first before the students in my case.  Sure, I'll be taking a pay cut and what not, but to me it will be worth it in the long run.  You don't want to wait too long either as you never know when the 68 series MOS will open up.  I was lucky I was able to get 68X on the day I went, but it was because my career counselor made a phone call when it wasn't popping up on his computer as being available.  With 68 series, they seem to pick more people who have college degrees as well because they asked if I did.  Good luck to you and hope you get what you want.  Don't give up!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...