Skip navigation
13914 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 11:20 AM by michael.milton2 RSS
User 1 posts since
Apr 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2011 8:31 PM

35m question

ok i am currently trying to join the us army and i am trying to find out about a possible mos 35m the stuff here on goarmy.com but what i dont get is what where is this done is this a position where im gonna be a pencil pusher or is this something where im out collecting intel in the field and why cant you have been a member of the peace corps im not nor will i ever be a part of the peace corps but why would that be there if there is someone who has been in this particular mos id love to hear some stuff on the mos from someone who has been in it and im also looking at 37f if anyone can tell me a little more than what they have on the site any and all help is appreciated

• User 33 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    1. Jun 29, 2011 8:42 AM (in response to tpaul239)
    35m question

35M's aren't pencil pushers. I did a lot of research into it when I was choosing my MOS. Their time is split between interrogations on base and field work, working with units and translators to obtain information in the field. 37F's duties are to go in and use different methods to get indigenous populations on our side using different methods. theres a lot more info on this on socnet if you would like to try there. There is also another thread in this section about 35M's if you search for it.

• User 3 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    2. Feb 29, 2012 11:11 PM (in response to mbardin84)
    35m question

Any word on how compeditive 35M is now days?

What kind of roles do they have in Afghanistan, now that operations will begin winding down?

• User 5 posts since
    May 19, 2011
    3. Mar 1, 2012 6:04 AM (in response to CalmPatriot)
    35m question

Not sure if the original poster has joined, but here's my response:

We are not pencil pushers simply because we are in the age of computers.  You will not be James Bond - sorry...  In the garisson environment, there isn't a large mission for Mikes, so expect to train and train and train some more.  If you're fortunate, you'll get a position that will allow you to do some real world work.

We do interrogations yes, but you will do a lot of writing and general desk work.  It really depends on your assignment.  I personally haven't been to Afghanistan, but I've been to Iraq twice.  I think the roles remain the same, either tactical level or strategic level interrogation.  I am personally in West Africa doing something very different.  There are opportunities if you know where to look.

From what I understand about competitiveness, they are (thankfully) raising the standards for in-bound Mikes.  I know that in the very near future we will be language dependent again, meaning that you will have to have a language or a qualifying DLAB score.  I think since we are over-strength that they won't be recruiting as many MIkes, and that some of us will be forced to re-class at some point in time or another.

If you need more info, please ask.  I forget to check this page, but now it's telling me via email, so I will respond as quick as I can.

Cheers and good luck!

Justin

• User 3 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    4. Mar 3, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to jmacc35M)
    35m question

Thank you foryour time Justin, it means a lot.

I’ve moved some questions from another thread to here.

I heard it rumored that 35M was “soon” to be changed out of an entry-level MOS (too many PVT James Bonds).  Any confirmation on that?  I will not finish college until 2013; it would suck if it was no longer entry-level.

What determines whether a 35m is in an interrogation role (I heard around 10%of them are so) versus an in-the-field war fighter (embedded in an infantry platoon, it seems)? Is it purely unit and mission (i.e., random), or are there qualities that would predispose someone to having more of a booth role, such as languages, and qualities that would predispose someone to having a field role,such as high PT scores?

Or maybe I am guessing too much into the magic of the big green machine…

I was hoping there would be some kind of balance between the two roles of a 35m (field vs. interrogation).  When I read accounts of 35m (such as the book “The Interrogators”), it seems there could be a correlation between high ranking NCOs getting interview assignments and lower enlisted/ NCOs getting field?  Let meknow if there’s any science to it.

“If you're fortunate, you'll get a position that will allow you to do some real worldwork.”

What makes a 35m “fortunate?” You mentioned opportunities – what opportunities should I be on the lookout for (ask around for), and what things could I do besides have languages and high PT scores to increase my chances? 

(I can hear my prior service buddies laughing at the idea of being “fortunate” in the Army)!

Because you mentioned 35m do not have a large mission in garrison or stateside, would you say this MOS is one that is best taken active instead of reserve?

Thanks again for your help; it’s invaluable to get feedback from soldiers with firsthand experience.  I try to think of the Army as a career choice like other in government—one requiring lots of research and being honest with oneself about the bottom line of each MOS.

• User 7 posts since
    Dec 9, 2012
    5. Dec 17, 2012 9:20 AM (in response to jmacc35M)
    35m question

Thank you Justin for the info.

Im going to be heading to BCT in March and AIT in May for 35m, do you have any insight regarding AIT? Are Mikes deployed more than stateside or garrisonned?

• User 5 posts since
    May 19, 2011
    6. Dec 17, 2012 9:46 AM (in response to CalmPatriot)
    35m question

Sorry I haven't been on here forever.  CalmPatriot - If you're still looking into it, I'll do my best to answer your questions.  Same thing Samuelsimmons.

Right after my last post I got caught up in a Coup d'Etat/Revolution in West Africa - Good times!

I have not heard about them making Mikes non-entry level.  They did that for Limas, but I haven't seen anything for us.  You should be good.

Most 35M's will be in interrogation roles - that is while the wars are still going on.  After that I couldn't tell you.  Even if embedded with a line unit or something, you'll still fill a roll of interrogator, it's just the environment will change.  There aren't any things you can really do initially to get one or the other.  It all depends on where you get stationed.  If you ever re-enlist, then you'll have a little more control over what path you go down and the various other jobs Mikes can do.  You're at the needs of the Army for now.  That being said, you can request schools that will set you apart from your peers and enable you to get into the more high-speed jobs that are out there. 

Everybody can or will interrogate, no matter what the rank.  I've read a lot of those books too, but that's not quite like what I have experienced as a Mike.

As for being fortunate - It's where you end up on your first assignment and if you get into schools...  The opportunities you'll discover once your in.  Just ask people who have been in a while and they'll tell you.  Language is a good start, as are schools.  Just be a good soldier and stay out of trouble and you'll be fine.  Be motivated and ask questions.

I have no idea what it's like to be in the reserves, so I can't really speak to that.  When you're in Garrison, that's the time to go to schools. 

SamuelSimmons - AIT...  I'm sure it's changed but if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer.  Otherwise - listen to your instructors.  It's not rocket science.  All the other soldierisms apply - on-time, right uniform, shaved, hydrated, etc...  As for being deployed, it's luck of the draw.  If your unit is going, then you're going.  Things are changing with the drawdowns, but other things are happening too...  It's an interesting time to be in the Army. 

• User 7 posts since
    Dec 9, 2012
    7. Dec 17, 2012 10:32 AM (in response to jmacc35M)
    35m question

It does really seem like a crazy mixup with whats happening in N Korea, syria and I never hear anything from Africa, but I've been looking more towards the globe for what's going on outside of my area code than I used to.

I guess my questions for AIT are related to the classwork, interrogations are something that are taught, are they almost rote, like an interview for a job?

I was surprised as well that its entry level, i would have thought it would have been 35F, then transferred to Mike

What kind of schools are there for me to go to while garrisoned? This is all new to me of course and am trying to get situated and squared away before i get on that bus.

Also I keep hearing the term "khaki guys", do mikes go plain clothes or do they wear standard ACU in the field?

• michael.milton2 ArmySoldier 179 posts since
    Sep 20, 2007
    8. Dec 17, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to Samuelsimmons)
    35m question

Samuelsimmons,

I will bring out the famous Intel mantra to give you an answer for many of your questions - "It depends".

There are always variations for any situation in the Army, especially with those that work in Intel. There are plenty of courses/schools for you to attend that will teach you all kinds of neat skills. Depending on your position on a deployment, you may or may not wear your ACUs while performing your duties...it all depends. I can tell you that there is no way you are going to pre-prepare for this MOS academically - so you might as well just square yourself away on your basic Army knowledge and PT and hope on that bus eager to start your Army career. Everything that you need to know about this MOS will be taught when you arrive at Huachuca.