I was commissioned and served 6 years active duty as a 21A Engineer Officer before separating in 2008 as a CPT. My IRR portion of my ISO ended in 2010, and I have not resigned my commission. I am contemplating possibly joining the Army Reserves, but I have several questions which I was I need more info on. My questions are listed below.
1) Since I have already completed my initial service obligation, is there a standard commitment period I would have to sign up for (3 years, 6 years, etc) or would it be up to me?
2) Upon joining the Reserves, would I be able to go straight to a unit, or is there some form of refresher training or BOLC I would need to complete?
3) What is the OPTEMPO like for a typical reservist, and how often do deployments come up?
4) If I were to join a TPU would the 2-year stabilization policy apply to me in my case?
5) How would being in the Reserves effect any current VA disability compensation I receive?
6) Would I be eligible for any type of bonuses for joining the Reserves, specifically would the $10,000 afiliation bonus apply in my case?
Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Will try to answer your questions as best as I can.
1. It could be in year increments, your best option is to get a hold of your branch as they will be the ones to assign you to a unit.
2. In your case you are fully qualified and could go right to a unit.
3. Reserve units normally go in a 5 year cycle until deployment if called to do so, the total time training and boots on ground could be up to 18 months.
4. I do not know how that will work for seeing how you are a Officer.
5. You would be pro-rated for the amount you spend it the Reserve, etc., week-end drills, 2 weeks annual training.
6. I do not know about that either but when you get a hold of your Branch they can get you the details about bonuses if any at all.
Thank you for considering our Army Reserve..................
1. Sir, I would recommend reaching out to a Reserve Career counsellor or HRC regarding this. I would start here:
2. There are a lot of Engineer assets in the Reserves, and there are non-branch specific slots (many of which are O-3 slots), so you would probably be safe from additional training. If you wanted additional training, you may be able to request it. I am not sure how the "dark side" works!
3. Depends a lot on unit. Psyops and CA have a higher optempo. Generically speaking...they are working on a 5 year/1 year rotation for most units. This means 5 home, 1 deployed or activated. It's pretty true in my Command and many others.
4. Not sure, but #1 may also be able to answer.
5. Not exactly sure. Mr Voeltner is greatly accurate and that sounds right. Double check with whomever can work your packet based on #1.
6. See #1. Guidance changes daily. I just completed my ODC board, and I signed a form stating that I would recieve it IF HRC vets my packet.
Sir, do you still have AKO? If not, if you send me a friend request on here with your personal e-mail...I can pass it on to the TPU Branch Manager for the Engineer Branch(he is my former Company CO) and ask him to reach out to you. He is a great resource. If I have your AKO, I would go AKO to AKO to pass his information on to you.
Good luck and Essayons!