Skip navigation
15754 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2011 6:49 PM by DBunny RSS
User 2 posts since
May 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2011 1:03 PM

can i join the army if i dont have a high school diploma or a GED?

iv herd from a friend that i can still join and the army will help me get my GED first. is this true? if so id like to join rite away i know i can do this if i just had some support and help from the army to get my GED because thats the only thing holding me back. iv really thought this through and this is what i want to do. my goel is set im just trying to get on the rite track and get this thing started.

Message was edited by: Jennifer Matteucci -- Moved -- Discussion successfully moved from Discussion Board Help & Support to Joining the Army

• User 161 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011

You must have one of the two, however GED slots are very limited right now.

• User 161 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011

And the Army has discontinued that incentive. You have to aquire your G.E.D on your own.

• User 56 posts since
    Mar 26, 2011

Based off of your grammar, I would say your WAY too young to join. Even still, the Army does not want "stupid" soldiers. There is a reason why the armed services are not accepting people with GED's (slots are VERY limited).

• User 1 posts since
    May 18, 2011

My friends that are in the army said you have to have your High School Diploma. So if you do want to join, go back to school or start Adult Education, you can still get your diploma from there.

• mLndg4m3 ArmySoldier 2,929 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011

Great job making assumptions but next time try to be helpful with your answer.  Why waste time writing if you're just going to bash the op? Does it make you feel better about yourself? As a G.E.D. holder myself, I concede the fact that tier 2 candidates are far more likely to fail ait or hide a criminal background. However I do not see how that makes your response appropriate. Considering the way public education fails its students, I don't see how having a high school diploma or even a degree, in some cases, make a person more intelligent than a G.E.D. holder. Next time, try to be helpful or just keep your comments to yourself.

terryshrewsberry-- the first two responses are correct. You must obtain your G.E.D. on your own. If you choose to do so, I would also recommend earning 15 college credits to make the process easier. As a tier 2 candidate, you will require a 51 or higher on the ASVAB(AFQT) versus a high school grad who only requires a 31.  Was there a reason you didn't finish high school? Are there any other factors that might disqualify you (criminal history, single parent, asthma)?

Good luck with your process, don't let anybody discourage you.

• User 161 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011

Wow! "Stupid Soldiers"? I am a G.E.D applicant myself as well. Unfortunatly due to some personal mishaps in my childhood, that I don't need to go into great detail about especially with someone as ignorant as yourself, forced me to get my education in another way. At least I, and the others on the is specific discussion went back and got it done.

I am not a single parent, I have no criminal history and/or medical problems that would cause for concern a disqualification. The only thing holding me back at this moment is my education.

Making that point, I sincerely doubt that my education would have anything to do with my ability to serve our country, and fight for our freedom. I hope that you have joined or are joining for the same reasons.

• User 164 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011

I'm not going to act like I didn't notice that horrible grammer; but calling GED applicants "stupid" shows you're ignorance. Not everyone grows up with a silver spoon in their mouth. Some people have to drop out and get a GED do to their circumstances. Take that into account before you insult their/my intelligence. I got a 76 on my ASVAB with a 114 GT score; and I know plenty of HS Diploma applicants that have lower scores. Oh, and by the way, GED slots are limited because of the economy and how many people are enlisting. They're cutting down on everything not just GED applicants.

• User 688 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008

The issue with GED's is the fact GED holders pass Army AIT's at a significantly lower rate than high school grads, GED holders tend to be less likely to complete their first enlistment successfully, and they don't tend to reenlist as often.  In other words, they--on average--cost more to train and produce less in the long run.

The Army tries to look out for its budget--the same one it uses to pay for Soldier's pay and to ensure soldiers are equipped and trained to do their jobs safely and successfully--by lowering the risks incurred by accepting GED holders.  It does this by encouraging GED holders to get additionaly educational experience (i.e. 15 credit hours) that increases the likelihood of them being at the same level as high school grads, by limiting the numbers of GED holders they recruit (and therefore the effect of AIT failure), and by only accepting GED holders held to a higher standard of aptitude (that's why the higher AFQT requirement).

So, technically, GED slots aren't limited by the economy.  However, the increased number of college and high school grads showing interest in the Army and being preferred (cheaper to train overall, cheaper to recruit and keep overall) as well as the increased demand for GED slots that are available by people who lack a diploma and/or the willingness to complete a single semester of college means you're less likely to get one because your competing with more people. 

Additionally, you don't need a "silver spoon" to get a high school diploma and many high schools have alternative programs that allow you to graduate with a pregnancy/child, off-schedule, etc.

So, yeah, good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points