Skip navigation
13704 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2011 6:43 PM by PaulMJrArmyStrong RSS
User 6 posts since
May 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2011 1:34 PM

ASVAB AFQT and Intelligence MOS

I've tooken the asvab and have a AFQT of 40

And my line scores are:

GT: 92

CL:98

CO: 94

EL: 94

FA: 95

GM: 92

MM:89

OF: 92

SC: 96

ST: 94

And first I want to know if anyone knows the website link that recruiters go to to enter your line scores and show you a list of jobs you qualify for

Also I wanted to know i read that theres a chance that at MEPS if you are 1 point off from a job you can try to convince them to waive that 1 point for instance i want to do a intelligence job which i looked at.

• User 528 posts since
    May 9, 2011
    1. May 14, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to PaulMJrArmyStrong)

think your ST might be a bit low.  A quick google search found some old requirements for the MOS which all were ST>=95 and ST>=95+SC>=95 for others.  I have no idea about waivers for ASVAB scores, but I'm betting chances aren't great...

• User 18 posts since
    Jul 8, 2009
    2. May 16, 2011 1:17 AM (in response to PaulMJrArmyStrong)

Paul,

I will start out by saying that I don't know what the current policy is on waivers. I am answering this question to the best of my ability because I went through the 35F course last year and there were a few soldiers in our class who had ASVAB waivers.

The issue is not whether or not you *can* get a waiver, but that intelligence school is very intellectually challenging. The reason that the MOS requires a high ST score is because the work itself requires what the ST measures: paragraph comprehension (there is a TON of research, and a lot of it is technical, boring, and written like textbooks), vocabulary (the job involves writing research papers and slideshows), mechanical aptitude (you need to be able to visualize second- and third-order effects), and math skills. You also need critical thought, attention to detail, and deductive reasoning, and those are qualities typically found in people who would score well in the ST subtests.

If you require a waiver for your ST score, you will very likely have a tough time at AIT, and you might be frustrated at the expectations heaped upon you once you get to your unit.

I'm not saying that you can't do it. One of my battle buddies made it through with a 41 AFQT and a waiver for a 92 ST but he was a whiz at spell-check and wasn't above asking for help. He proved himself in BCT as a solid guy who you could count on, so lots of us put a hand out to him when he asked for it in AIT. He also possessed truckloads of common sense.

If you really want to do this, then go for it. Don't let me discourage you. Just be ready to work harder than the soldier next to you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points