Skip navigation
4531 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2011 8:59 AM by Sadatn2k RSS
User 1 posts since
May 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2011 8:21 PM

Dependent Waiver

Is it hard to get a waiver to join, if you have 3 dependents under 18?

• User 688 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    1. May 8, 2011 9:06 PM (in response to rcastle81)
    Dependent Waiver

Are you married and do you have a college degree?

The Army restricts the number of dependents and single parents because it understands that you have responsibilities as a parent and--if it comes in conflict with your duties as a soldier--the Army tends to lose a soldier.  If you aren't married, you're essentially a non-starter.  If you are married, the likelihood of getting a waiver goes up with your ability to support them better.  This means entering at a higher rank (i.e more money per month), the ability for your spouse to contribute funds or other sources of income may help.  A college degree starts you as an E3 or E4...

So, talk to your recruiter and they will be able to give you more information...

• Sadatn2k User 2,054 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    2. May 9, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to rcastle81)
    Dependent Waiver

I'm a single father with joint custody of 3 daughters and all I was required to do was get a notarized statement indicating that my daughters mother had full PHYSICAL custody.

Once I did that then the Battalion Commander called me and had a phone interview basically wanting to know about my finances. Just making sure I could survive on an E-4 salary because I would be taking a pay cut from my current job.

It was all approved in less then 24hrs.

Good luck!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points