Skip navigation
25409 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2011 8:11 PM by Jdligg RSS
User 1 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2011 11:37 AM

Do all Marines have to go to war?

Please, please.. Disregard my ignorance on the topic. I'm not trying to upset anyone with my frantics. But I wanted to get my information from the right people, you. Here we go.

My name is Chelse. My boyfriend is deciding to go to the Marines. He's actually taking the ASVAB as we speak. He went to the Marine office and took a pre-test yesterday and said the number was ridiculously high. My boyfriend goes to a genius school and has a lot of IB classes. Runs track and cross country, pretty athletic.

I'm honestly terrified. And confused. I don't understand the process or anything.

Does he go to training, then college, then back to serve? Or viseversa?

How long does he serve? While serving, does he have a regular life, with wife and kids?

Can we live anywhere? Or, when he serves, does he have to live with them and stuff?

Obviously, I'm confused and worried.

Will my boyfriend, soon to be husband, EVER have to leave the country and fight?

I know that's the traditional way, but is there any jobs he can do without risking his life.

Are there other jobs that still help the cause, but are safe?

And my main question, if this is true, can a contract be signed that states he will NEVER have to fight, be deployed, or anything?

Please give me some peace of mind. Please.

Chelse.

• User 710 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    1. Mar 16, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to CRMWilliams)

Why ask this here? This is an Army discussion forum, nothing to do with the navy or marines.

Usually military life is just like normal life. While you're home it's usually a 9-5 job unless you're in the field training. If you're married you'll get to live off base (at least for most branches, no clue about the marines) but you'll have to live near his base.

As for the deployment thing...it's sort of obvious. This country is currently at war. No contract would ever state that he wouldn't be deployed. Plus it's nothing to worry about. The murder rates in some cities in this country are higher than war casualties.

• User 76 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    2. Mar 16, 2011 3:47 PM (in response to blorgensplor)

considerate and classy as always blorgensplor...(roll eyes)

Chelsea, granted, this is an Army recruitment venue, not Marines, but since there is no need to be inconsiderate and seeing how you are worried, the short answer is no, not all Marines go to War. But then again, there is no contract, for any branch of the armedforces that will state that you'r BF will not be deployed to a combat zone.

Remember, just because someone is deployed to a combat zone, does not mean that person will see actual combat.

It depends on what job your BF has, it depends on where in the combat zone he will be dployed, etc.

As far as life in his base, once you are married, you will be entitled to either on base housing (for free), or off base housing (the military will give you an allowance to pay for it, for 'free'), and as mentioned, while your BF/husband is NOT deployed, he will go to work and then be back home pretty much every night, like any other job.

For better answers and more considerate people, try the Family Discussion area of these very forums, or better yet, try the Marines website's own forums and help links.

Good luck and be positive, your BF will be just fine, and you'll enjoy military life!

• User 688 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    3. Mar 16, 2011 6:56 PM (in response to CRMWilliams)

You have to be a special breed to be a Marine.

The Army--outside of a few of the more highly "motivated" units like Rangers and wanna'be Rangers (Airborne Infantry) and the part of the regular Infantry that are wanna'be wanna'be Rangers*--are in the Army because they want to serve our country, they need a job, they want to get ahead in life, it's a family tradition, or (typically) some combination of them.

Marines--on the other hand--have to be one part nihilist because the selling points to be a Marine--other than the uniform--are all risky and costly.

The Few...      = Not much support.

The Proud...   = Do stuff other people can't or simply are too rational to do.

Duty              = Because, if it was easy, everyone would do it...

Honor            = Have to have it or people might take the easier way.

Etc.

So, from a simple cost-benefit allowance, the only benefit to being a Marine over the Army has to be either an identity issue (Family tradition, for example), or access to something other services don't get as much on average...

...like the reputation for getting sent really sh*tt* places to do really s*ck* stuff in the name of an ideal.**

So, because the Marines have this sort of reputation to uphold--or it becomes worthless--the potential for a non-combatant Marine contract is essentially nil.

If he--indeed--wanted uniformed service without added risk of combat, he could instead apply for US Public Health Services Commisioned Corps (http://www.usphs.gov/) after completing an appropriate degree or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps (http://www.noaacorps.noaa.gov/) after completing an appropriate degree.

That said,

Does he go to training, then college, then back to serve? Or viseversa?

How long does he serve? While serving, does he have a regular life, with wife and kids?

Can we live anywhere? Or, when he serves, does he have to live with them and stuff?

Obviously, I'm confused and worried.

Will my boyfriend, soon to be husband, EVER have to leave the country and fight?

I know that's the traditional way, but is there any jobs he can do without risking his life.

Are there other jobs that still help the cause, but are safe?

If he's going active duty as a Marine, he will typically be sent to Boot Camp, the School of Infantry (if he's not assigned an Infantry Military Occupational Specialty or MOS), and then either to his unit (for on the job training) or to an MOS school.  Once completed, he will typically be assigned to a unit.  Because most of the Marine Corps is based around Amphibious Warfare or aviation, Marines are usually stationed near or on Naval Bases both in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Okinawa (near Japan) and other locations.

Additionally, many Marine units rotate through amphibious deployments.  Typically, there is a several month train-up phase and qualification followed by 6-8 months of deployment abroad as part of an amphibious warfare group.  (This happens during peacetime as well).

As for length of service, all military personel incur an 8 year military service obligation when they first enlist.  In most cases, after the initial enlistment, military personnel leaving the service enter an inactive status where they do not have to actively participate in training but are subject to recall at the needs of the Government.  The more typical military contract is 4 years with shorter and longer contracts depending on the particular MOS and enlistment options. The Marines have limited MOS's available with an enlistment length under 4 years. 

As to married life with a Marine, suffice it to say it's no cake-walk and you'll probably see him less than half the time, even if he doesn't get deployed to a combat zone.  While I have no direct experience with the Marine-side, my ex-psychotic... er... fiance... was a Navy Corpsman married to another Corspman who was assigned to and essentially lived with a Marine Battalion for 6 years during peacetime.  He (and the Marines he was with) were home about 2 years of that time in 1 to 6 month chunks.  She passed the time with other sailors and Marines who weren't currently deployed...

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but it's a risk of that service.

(To be honest:  The Army also has a pretty hefty deployment schedule during war-time, but the Army is large enough to allow most soldiers to be home with their families at least 50% of the time and efforts are made to limit it to more like 33% of the time away 66% home, even during wartime.)

I heartily recommend trying to make contact with a Marine-specific family group and--before getting married--attending pre-marriage relationship counseling with him.  Although such a life is a challenge, with the right people and the right effort, people can and do pull it off and make it worth it.

Good luck.

* - Army Special Forces don't really fall into this category because there's actually a psychological evaluation and vetting involved during the selection process...

** - Yes, parts of the Army do this routinely, but your odds are greater in a smaller service--like the Marines--with most of your non-combat support being supplied by the Navy...

• User 11 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    4. May 6, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to CRMWilliams)
    Re: Do all Marines have to go to war?

Yep

It's fun as *** too

DBunny narrowed it down pretty well though. I was always gone.

I'd look at that "Pesky" Honor thing as something good because proving yourself comes in handy when someone is trying to murder you and your brothers...makes sure no one *** out and gets themselves or someone else killed.

I've never had more miserable days in my life but I would do it all over again if i had to

Message was edited by: Jennifer Matteucci -- Please watch the language on this site!!

• User 161 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    5. May 5, 2011 9:15 PM (in response to DBunny)

With all due repsect Dbunny, the so called 'nihilism' you are talking of, is more commonly known of as courage. just fyi..... also, to CRMWilliams, I am just 14 (no, that does NOT mean that I'm retarded, I'm actually going into the 11th grade next year...), however, I grew up around Marines, and let me tell you, if he does go to battle, he'll have some of the best (in my opinion THE best, but thats a can of worms I dont want to get into) men by his side, and he couldnt be (again, in my opinion) better hands. also, to my knowledge, there are several MOSs that he could go into that would limit (if not eliminate) his chances of going into combat. Also, I'm not sure if this will help, but if it does,then I feel I should tell you, that all of the marines in my family are still alive unless they died of old age.(Again, dont know if it helps, just doing my best).

• User 24 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    6. May 6, 2011 1:43 PM (in response to CRMWilliams)

It will depend on what your boyfriend's MOS (Job) is.

• User 688 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    7. May 7, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to Jdligg)
    Re: Do all Marines have to go to war?

Jdligg wrote:

With all due repsect Dbunny, the so called 'nihilism' you are talking of, is more commonly known of as courage. just fyi..... also, to CRMWilliams, I am just 14 (no, that does NOT mean that I'm retarded, I'm actually going into the 11th grade next year...), however, I grew up around Marines, and let me tell you, if he does go to battle, he'll have some of the best (in my opinion THE best, but thats a can of worms I dont want to get into) men by his side, and he couldnt be (again, in my opinion) better hands. also, to my knowledge, there are several MOSs that he could go into that would limit (if not eliminate) his chances of going into combat. Also, I'm not sure if this will help, but if it does,then I feel I should tell you, that all of the marines in my family are still alive unless they died of old age.(Again, dont know if it helps, just doing my best).

Nihilists can be totally courageous...

...and you can be totally courageous without nihilism.

The voluntary assumption of very personally costly courses of action when other options are available and equivalent...

...that's sort of where the nihilism comes from.

• User 161 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    8. May 8, 2011 11:08 AM (in response to DBunny)

I'm just sayin, not all of them are so called Nihilists. For example, I am planning on going into the Marines, and I would gladly die in place of any one of my brothers, and if I was told not to retreat, I would not, no matter what happened. Does that make me a nihilist, or courageous/obedient?

• User 688 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    9. May 8, 2011 4:49 PM (in response to Jdligg)

Jdligg wrote:

I'm just sayin, not all of them are so called Nihilists. For example, I am planning on going into the Marines, and I would gladly die in place of any one of my brothers, and if I was told not to retreat, I would not, no matter what happened. Does that make me a nihilist, or courageous/obedient?

Look at it this way:

If you don't care if you die and/or seek death...  You're technically a nihilist.  [Has Choice, Wants death/doesn't want life]

If you simply want to protect/save/keep alive a fellow Soldier/Marine/etc. and value their life more than yours, you are an altruist.  [Has Choice, Wants life and Wants fellow to survive more]

If you know there is a threat and you are an altruist, that's courageous. [Has Choice, Wants life and Wants fellow to survive more, knows there is a risk to life]

If you simply do what you are told, in spite of risk, you may or may not be a nihilist, but you are obedient.  [No choice]

So, figure out where you are...

• User 161 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    10. May 8, 2011 8:11 PM (in response to DBunny)

Well I (along with many other former Marines in my family, which is why your gettin on my nerves a little, they are NOT suicidal/nihilists.) am sure not a nihilist, I would be what you have called an Altruist/courageous person. Also, I know somebody gonna start bein a A hole about me supposedly talkin like I know what its like, so let me say this: I'm good friends with a former sniper for the Army, and he has told me about some of what he's done, also, there are many people in my family that are/were in either the Army or Marines, and they have also told me some stuff. Also, I am nowhere near retarded enough to think that Call of Duty is anywhere near real life.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...