Skip navigation
13025 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2011 3:07 PM by rangerdanger123 RSS
User 9 posts since
Feb 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2011 9:09 PM

ASVAB?

What would i need asvab wise to get into infantry or anything related to stuff like that, i took the pre-test today at the recruiter station and he said i got a 44 is that bad or should i be doing all around studying. i dont wanna go in a idiot.

• ArmySoldier 93 posts since
    Dec 26, 2010
    1. Feb 28, 2011 9:15 PM (in response to rangerdanger123)
    ASVAB?

You'll be able to join infantry with a 44. 44 isn't bad but you want to get a higher score for more options on your contract (option 40, option 4, etc.) and just in case you want a different MOS your asvab score will produce you different jobs depending on what your score is.

• keith.l.skylance ArmySoldier 15 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    3. Mar 1, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to rangerdanger123)
    ASVAB?

First: Most (not all) people score about 8-15 points higher on the actual ASVAB than on the practice test, so you are likely to score into the mid-fifties as it is. Not because it's easier, but because there are more sections and more types of questions—it provides a more well-rounded assessment of your abilities.

Second: Don't shoot for a 50 or a 60. Shoot for 99. Do your best to get the highest possible score you can. That doesn't just apply to the ASVAB, it applies to everything in life. Attempt nothing less than perfection. You won't succeed (no one can), but you'll get a lot closer to it than if you don't try.

• User 710 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    4. Mar 1, 2011 12:12 PM (in response to keith.l.skylance)
    ASVAB?

Keith is exactly right. I scored 17 higher on the real ASVAB compared to the practice. Plus the total score doesn't really matter too much. It's really the line scores. So you could do extremely well in one area, but terrible in another. Sure your over all average might suffer, but certain line scores won't and that's what matters.

• User 27 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    5. Mar 1, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to rangerdanger123)
    ASVAB?

It's best to always study like crazy. Give yourself breaks and relax. Studies show that if you have a good laugh or two, you are in a better mood. Your circulation will be better and there for you will think more clearly. Don't stress over it, enjoy it. See it as a challange. It's fun! and when you take the test, don't think, "i gotta get a high score" think "okay, now how do i answer each question correctly?" I got a 60 on my ASVAB. But whatever score you get, just know that you did your best. It's onlya  bad score if you didn't try beyond your best.

• User 688 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    7. Mar 11, 2011 8:42 PM (in response to rangerdanger123)
    Re: ASVAB?

rangerdanger123 wrote:

What would i need asvab wise to get into infantry or anything related to stuff like that, i took the pre-test today at the recruiter station and he said i got a 44 is that bad or should i be doing all around studying. i dont wanna go in a idiot.

First...

Do you hold (just) a GED?

Second...

The score you are talking about is probably the AFQT portion of the ASVAB and not the line scores.

The line scores needed are:

(a) A minimum score of 90 in aptitude area CO on Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) tests administered prior to 2 January 2002.

(b) A minimum score of 87 in aptitude area CO on ASVAB tests administered on and after 2 January 2002.

Basically, the number most of you guys talk about "getting on the ASVAB" is usually the AFQT or Armed Forces Qualification Test.  The AFQT is a simple measure of how "trainable" you are overall and compares you to--theoretically--everyone else who took the same test.  So, an AFQT of 44 means you scored better than 44% of people who took the AFQT.  The standards for enlistment are 50%ile or better for GED holders and an easier 31&ile or better for high school grads.

That's what gets you into the Army.

MOS selection also looks at line scores--like the CO aptitude area above (CO = COmbat)--which use combinations of ASVAB subtests to estimate how well you would succeed in training for that MOS.  This--unlike the AFQT--is not comparative between people.

So, your score of 44%ile on the AFQT doesn't tell us what we need to know about whether you qualify for Infantry or not.  If you have access to your line scores--like my CO score was 137--we could tell you if it was in the qualifying range...

So, good luck and you probably could ask your recruiter, eh?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...