Skip navigation
15105 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2011 3:16 PM by ArmyBound20110606 RSS
User 61 posts since
Sep 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2011 2:34 AM

BAH fraud?

is it true that 2 married couples spliting an apartment off base is BAH fraud?? thant stink cause it could really help my husband and i out with money as well as the other married couple!!  even if one couple is paying for rent adnthe other is paying for food?

• JKD05 ArmySoldier 915 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    1. Jan 31, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to strengh2202)
    Re: BAH fraud?

I'm not entirely sure what the regs are on it, but I don't know how it is fraud. For example, my husband and I both receive BAH (he gets the full rate, I get the partial). If you're entitled to BAH, you're also entitled to spend it how you deem necessary to pay your bills, and if you choose to cohabitate with another couple also receiving BAH you're not double dipping because the four of you aren't all married to each other.

• User 53 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    3. Jan 31, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to strengh2202)

I have seen people go through this arrangement before it never ends well for the parties involve.

• 18XParent User 265 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    4. Jan 31, 2011 3:03 PM (in response to strengh2202)

His NCO is mistaken.  Ask him to explain exactly what he thinks is fraudulent about the situation.  Soldiers who are entitled to BAH get BAH.  It has nothing to do with who they live with, nor if they pay rent or a mortgage.

• User 23 posts since
    Jan 29, 2011
    5. Jan 31, 2011 3:23 PM (in response to strengh2202)

it is not fraud as many single Officers and NCO's have military roommates of equal or lesser rank. As long as everyone involved is on the lease it should satisfy the Finance Sections requirement to receive BAH. It is a way to ease the burdon we all face when trying to rent a large enough domicile for our families.

• ArmySoldier 14 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    7. Feb 1, 2011 10:11 PM (in response to strengh2202)

No it is not fraud at all. Military spouses can live together and both receive BAH. One would receive full the other partial Usually the person with the higher rank would receive it due to the fact he/she gets more. Now what would be fraud is if you're both married and didn't submit your marriage certificate and both receive the full BAH rate for your locality. Now "the other guy's NCO" shouldn't be telling your friend things he doesn't know or understand. The best people to talk to would be your S1 and the finance office. Once you get to your assigned unit after basic and AIT when you get to your unit, the unit clerks will have everything sorted out for you.

• User 8 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011
    9. Mar 29, 2011 3:16 PM (in response to strengh2202)

Does anyone know anything on how joint domicile works?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points