Jan 13, 2011 3:56 PM
SUBJECT: Prior Service (PS) enlistments into the Regular Army (RA)
1. This is an immediate message and requires dissemination to all recruiting
2. This message is valid for 2 years from date of publication unless sooner
rescinded or superseded.
a. Army Regulation 601-210, Regular Army and Army Reserve Enlistment
Program, (with Operational changes), dated 7 June 2007.
b. Department of the Army Memorandum, Prior Service Accessions Business
Rules for Grade Determinations, dated 28 September 2010.
c. USAREC message 10-021, Operation Blue to Green Enlistment Program,
dated 6 November 2009.
d. USAREC message 11-050, Prior Service (PS) enlistments into the Regular
Army (RA), dated 6 December 2010. (Rescinded)
4. The purpose of this message is to announce new guidance on Prior Service
(PS) enlistments into the Regular Army (RA). Administrative reduction is no
longer authorized to fill a vacancy.
5. Effective 5 January 2011, PS enlistments in all Skill Levels, to include
Soldiers from Sister Services applying for the Blue to Green (B2G) Program, are
restricted by critical MOS exception according to Human Resource Command (HRC)
Accessions Business Rules. This policy does not affect those PS already in
Delayed Status (DS). No reductions in pay grade will be favorably considered,
6. This policy may affect Glossary NPS (DOS) enlistments in pay grade E-1 thru
E-4. Applicants with 179 days or less on Active Duty are considered to be DOS
NPS applicants for the purpose of enlistment into the Regular Army.
7. The HRC Business Rules will be updated monthly by Human Resources Command
(see part II of this message).
a. Applicants in grade E-5 and above must submit a formal electronic
request for grade determination to CG, USAREC IAW with AR 601-210, Chapter
b. If applicant is MOS qualified in an MOS listed for his/her pay grade in
paragraph 1a of the HRC business rules; approval will be granted in his/her
grade in current PMOS.
c. If applicant is not MOS qualified for a MOS listed for his/her pay grade
in paragraph 1a, then grade will be approved to retrain in an MOS listed in
paragraph 1b of the HRC business rules for his/her pay grade.
d. Applicants in pay grade E-4 and above who hold MOS 18B, 18C, 18D, 18E,
18F, 37F, 42R, 42S, 46Q, or 46R can request an exception to the Business
Rules. Send exception request thru GCR as a grade determination. Exceptions
are not always favorably considered.
8. If an applicant does not hold the grade and MOS that has an open vacancy
listed in paragraph 1a of the Business Rules and there are no retraining
vacancies in current grade listed in paragraph 1b of the Business Rules,
request for grade determination for the purpose of enlistment in the RA will not
be favorably considered due to lack of vacancies in MOS and grade, and not
qualifying for any MOS listed on the Business Rules. No reductions in pay grade
will be favorably considered, no exceptions.
MEMORANDUM FOR U.S. Army Recruiting Command (RCRO-EEP), Ft Knox, KY 40121.
SUBJECT: Prior Service Accession Business Rules for Grade Determinations
(ref AR 601-210)
1. This memorandum supersedes the memorandum dated 1 December 2010 and provides
new guidance to USAREC in the vacancies that may be filled. These Business
Rules are all encompassing for Prior Service (PS) vacancies. The following
vacancies are available provided the applicant is otherwise qualified.
a. Vacancies by grade and MOS:
(1) Grades E-1 thru E-4 - 11C, 12B, 12Y, 13T, 14T, 15Q, 25R, 25S,
35F, 35L, 35N, 35P (language dependent), 68M, 89D, 91F or 91S.
(2) Grade E-5 - 25R, 35F, 35L, 35N or 35P (language dependent)
(3) Grade E-6 - 35L
(4) Grade E-7 - no vacancies. Changes monthly based on the needs of
(5) Grade E-8 - no vacancies. Changes monthly based on the needs of
(6) Grade E-9 - no vacancies. Changes monthly based on the needs of
b. If no vacancy exists, the following MOSs will be used for retraining,
however training seats are limited:
(1) Grades E-1 thru E-4 - 13T, 14T, 15Q, 25F, 25R, 25S, 35N, or 89D.
(2) Grade E-5 - 25R.
(3) Grades E-6 and above - no vacancies.
c. If applicant holds the grade and MOS that is listed in paragraph 1a
above, the applicant will enlist for Option 18, (U.S. Army First Assignment);
Prior Service Accession Branch (USAREC) will validate MOS qualifications.
2. For applicants who require a grade determination, Prior Service Accession
Branch (USAREC) will determine the enlistment grade as follows:
a. Applicant must enlist in the Delayed Status within 30 days of final
grade determination. He/she must understand that the vacancies constantly
change; if the grade determination expires prior to enlisting into the Delayed
Status, they could be subject to disapproval.
b. If applicant does not hold the grade and MOS that has an open vacancy
listed in paragraph 1a above and there are no retraining vacancies in current
grade listed in paragraph 1b above, he/she will not be granted accession at this
time. Administrative reduction is no longer authorized to fill a vacancy.
c Training opportunities exist for MOSs and grades listed in paragraph lb
above, however, training is limited. Once all training seats have been filled,
the NCOIC of the ROC will send an email out to all BN Operations and Senior
Guidance Counselors notifying them of this information.
3. All PS applicants that hold an ASI may submit for an exception to policy
without regards to the listed MOS vacancies in paragraph 1a above. All
exceptions are not favorably considered.
Message was edited by: Jennifer Matteucci