Skip navigation
4606 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 6:05 AM by egloskerry RSS
User 3 posts since
Dec 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2013 9:02 PM

Aspergers and the Army?

Hello my buddy and I were going to enlist in the Army but he has Aspergers syndrome.  I would like to know if that automatically disqualifies him from enlisting.  Thank You for your time.

• egloskerry ArmySoldier 17,079 posts since
    Jul 13, 2012
    1. Dec 17, 2013 9:03 PM (in response to JMWarner)
    Aspergers and the Army?

AR 40-501 2-27b. Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, do not meet the standard. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

Jul 13, 2012
    3. Dec 17, 2013 9:22 PM (in response to JMWarner)
    Aspergers and the Army?

Autism is most definitely a mental disorder, and is covered by that reg. He still needs to disclose his condition to his recruiter. Do either of you have any legal, criminal, or medical issues other than what has already been mentioned?

FYI, my avatar is that of a PFC, which is addressed as private. Sir is for an officer.

• MabryPsyD ArmySoldier 3,402 posts since
    Aug 19, 2012
    4. Dec 17, 2013 9:52 PM (in response to JMWarner)
    Aspergers and the Army?

The private is correct. Autism spectrum disorders aren't permitted for recruitment or retention.

Someone please copy/paste 2-27 p. For me please. B. DQs low functioning Autism and P. DQs high functioning Autism.

-Dr. G.

Jul 13, 2012
    5. Dec 17, 2013 10:07 PM (in response to MabryPsyD)
    Aspergers and the Army?

2-27p. Current or history of other mental disorders that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, do not meet the standard.

Jul 13, 2012
    7. Dec 18, 2013 6:05 AM (in response to JMWarner)
    Aspergers and the Army?

If he has never been diagnosed, as far as the Army is concerned, he does not have it, and should not mention anything about it to his recruiter.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 3 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points