7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 6:05 AM by egloskerry RSS

Aspergers and the Army?

User

Hello my buddy and I were going to enlist in the Army but he has Aspergers syndrome.  I would like to know if that automatically disqualifies him from enlisting.  Thank You for your time.

• 1. Aspergers and the Army?
          egloskerry ArmySoldier

AR 40-501 2-27b. Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, do not meet the standard. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

• 2. Aspergers and the Army?
            User

Okay great thank you..  It seems as if he is qualified as Aspergers is not a mental disorder nor has he had to have any special accomodations made to him when he was in Highschool and when he went and recieved his Associates degree.  I thank you for your time sir.

• 3. Aspergers and the Army?
              egloskerry ArmySoldier

Autism is most definitely a mental disorder, and is covered by that reg. He still needs to disclose his condition to his recruiter. Do either of you have any legal, criminal, or medical issues other than what has already been mentioned?

• 4. Aspergers and the Army?
                MabryPsyD ArmySoldier

The private is correct. Autism spectrum disorders aren't permitted for recruitment or retention.

Someone please copy/paste 2-27 p. For me please. B. DQs low functioning Autism and P. DQs high functioning Autism.

-Dr. G.

• 5. Aspergers and the Army?
                  egloskerry ArmySoldier

2-27p. Current or history of other mental disorders that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, do not meet the standard.

• 6. Aspergers and the Army?
                    User

No neither of us have any Criminal or medical issues.  Also I should probably disclose he was not "officially" diagnosed with it.  He said that his doctor told him he has some of the charcteristics of it.  So I really don't know if it is considered a difinite condition or if he has to be "officially" diagnosed.  I'll call him tomorrow and find out more.  I'd hate to make an *** of myself on here.

• 7. Aspergers and the Army?
                      egloskerry ArmySoldier

If he has never been diagnosed, as far as the Army is concerned, he does not have it, and should not mention anything about it to his recruiter.